Ready for summer grilling? Here is an Indian recipe that will add some spice to your barbeque. The traditional dish is made with paneer, or a cottage cheese, that can be found at any Indian grocery store. For a healthier variation, try using tofu instead. You can also play with adding various vegetables.
Panner or Tofu Tikka
250 gms paneer (cottage cheese) or 425 g extra firm tofu
1 large red bell pepper
1 large yellow bell pepper
1 large green bell pepper
1 medium size onion
1 cup yogurt
Turmeric powder (Haldi) ½ teaspoon
Red chili powder – ½ - 1 teaspoon (as spicey as you like!)
Cumin powder (Jeera)-1 teaspoon
Coriander powder (Dhania) - 1 teaspoon
Fennel powder (Sonf) - ½ teaspoon
Garam masala - ½ teaspoon
Chaat masala - 1 teaspoon
Black pepper powder -½ teaspoon
Dried fenugreek leaves (Kasoori methi ) - 1 teaspoon
Dried mango powder (Amchur) - 1 teaspoon (optional)
Salt - to taste
Ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Juice of half a lemon
Oil or Butter or Ghee – 1 -2 tbsp for brushing
1. Chop the paneer or tofu into square pieces. Chop all the vegetables into square pieces.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt until it becomes smooth.
3. Add the ginger and garlic paste to the yogurt. Add all the spices, including the salt. Mix well.
4. Add the paneer or tofu and the veggie to the marinade. Mix well with your hands. Let this marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
5. Arrange the paneer or tofu and veggies on skewers. Brush generously with oil on all sides. If using wooden skewers, submerge them in water for at least 10 minutes, then wipe with towel or paper napkin before using. If the tofu is not easy to put on the skewers and crumbles, you can also place on a baking sheet for the oven.
6. Grilling: Place on the grill on high, rotate, and cook to your heart’s content. Watch for the paneer to turn brown.
Broiling: If using the oven, broil for 7-10 minutes. Check that the paneer is soft inside.
Baking: You can also bake at 200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the skewers in for 8-15 minutes. Then turn the skewers and brush more oil on them, and then bake again for another 8-15 minutes. Again, check that the paneer is soft on the inside. Tofu may need longer to bake, 30-45 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, sprinkle with lemon juice, and enjoy!